Position: Data Analyst
Reports to: Data Analytics and Insights Manager
Term: 3-month position with possible extension
Social Progress Imperative is a small but mighty team that leverages the power of its global network and strategic partnerships to model and amplify the use of data to influence policies and investments to better serve all humanity. We partner with leaders across every sector––government, business, and civil society––to meet the pressing needs of communities and equip them with the right information to tackle urgent global challenges like Covid-19 and climate change.
Our flagship data-driven tool, the Social Progress Index, captures how well a society converts its resources into social and environmental outcomes on things that matter most, measuring whether people have what they need to prosper—from basic needs like adequate shelter, being well-nourished, and feeling safe, to whether they are treated equally regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation to help improve the quality of life for all.
This data has real power. Innovative leaders in more than 45 countries from Europe to India, from Silicon Valley to the rainforests of the Amazon have adopted the Social Progress Index to help identify and prioritize the most pressing social issues in their communities and shape policies, investments, and actions that drive social impact. To learn more about the Index and our pioneering work, visit Social Progress Imperative’s website and watch our CEO’s TED Talks.
As a member of the Social Progress Imperative team, the Data Analyst will be part of an exciting stage of growth and impact globally. Working closely with the Data Analytics and Insights Manager and other team members around the world, the Data Analyst will help respond to the increasing demand for sub-national partnerships and products, leveraging our experience, strategic partnerships, and investments in technology to deliver insights at a much broader scale. This includes accelerating the use and adoption of the Social Progress Index and other tools by investing in a more expansive and robust technical platform to deliver insights and data more effectively.
This is a temporary position to start immediately for an extent of three months. Based on needs and performance, this position could transition to a regular full-time role.
- Collect, clean, and organize quantitative data and metadata for projects from a variety of public sources.
- Manage databases, including writing queries for data processing and analysis, integrating large datasets for granular geographies in multiple countries across the world.
- Where possible, contribute to development of dashboards and refinement of data visualization tool(s)
- Communicate effectively with external partners and internal team members.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Experience with a high-level programming language, preferably Python but R accepted.
- Entry level SQL and strong Excel skills.
- Experience designing and developing dashboards, and data visualizations on Tableau.
- Experience with social, environmental, and/or economic data and research topics.
- Experience working with APIs to extract datasets and create databases.
- Demonstrated experience working with unstructured/messy data.
- Familiarity with relational database model.
- QGIS experience is a plus.
- Display capacity to engage and communicate with individuals of differing backgrounds and experience supporting collaborative projects with external clients and stakeholders including elected officials, municipal and county government staff, philanthropy and corporate leaders, public service operators and community members).
- Show a willingness to learn, adapt and suggest improvements.
- Use strong interpersonal skills and comfort working both independently and in team environments.
- Fluent in another language (Spanish or French) is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in the field of informatics and/or computer science, business, statistics, economics, or related field of inquiry with at least 2 years of professional work experience in a related field. Master’s degree preferred, with demonstrated experience developing end products and analysis.
- Demonstrate outstanding writing ability, problem-solving ability, strong oral communication, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work effectively on multiple projects.
- Exhibit knowledge or interest in at least one major policy area through research papers and projects, or professional, advocacy, or volunteer experience. Some examples include urban planning, public health, environmental and/or transportation planning, economic development, inequality and inclusion, workforce development systems, youth pathways to postsecondary success and careers, and job quality and workplace standards.
How to apply
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for this position as soon as possible by sending a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.